Did you know we have some Chinese in our family tree? Well, actually, the branch was just recently grafted in, but we've got it now and it's exciting! Loren's biological father, "Grandpa Dennis," married a wonderful woman, "Grandma Lily" from China last August. Things are still in process for her immigration to the states, but Grandpa Dennis went over for an extended visit this winter and brought back lots of stories and souvenirs! My personal favorite is a Mah Jong set! Grandpa Dennis came to visit us over the Easter weekend and we had a blast! We got to skype with Grandma Lily. Her English is getting better every time we speak to her - I can't say the same for my Chinese. I did learn this - "Toa Chi Hows-sen!" (that's the phonetic spelling in case you didn't guess) It means "naughty monkey." Very useful when Emma is climbing on the counters. Grandma Lily taught Lucy how to say the numbers 1-10. Thanks to a little school workbook Grandpa Dennis brought us I have mastered how to write the numbers 1 through 9 as it is necessary for the successful playing of Mah Jong. I still didn't manage to win a hand, though. We are looking forward to Grandma Lily's arrival. Hopefully it will be soon. She promises to teach us some traditional Chinese dances. Hopefully I will be better at learning the dances than I am at using chopsticks, speaking the language or playing Mah Jong!
Here are some additional pictures of the girls in their Chinese outfits -
Emma in the "Warrior Pose." She learned it doing yoga at the Y - which is Indian, right? but I guess she thought it looked Chinese. =)
This is the girls "Chinese Fight Pose" - they made it up themselves.
This is Lucy being tough. It's a good look for her!
Notice our other "China girl" in the background playing the ukulele. Now that's not something you see everyday! Ukulele's are another fun thing Grandpa Dennis always brings us. (He dated a Polynesian woman for years before marrying Lily.) The ukulele's are not from China, though it's quite possible they were made there! =)




No comments:
Post a Comment