Friday, May 22, 2009

Emma's McQuotes

If you are Emma or Lucy, life doesn't get much better than lunch at McDonalds! Okay, so it would be better if I let them actually go IN and play in the Play Place but face it folks, that is like letting your kid play in germ pit, so my kids have learned to love the drive-thru. Since we needed to get home we didn't pull over in the parking lot and have a car picnic like we sometimes do but instead I kept driving with one hand and opened Happy Meal toy bags with the other.
I have a small mirror attached to the rear-view so that I can keep my eye on the back seat without turning my head - hey, safety first. So I was checking things out and noticed Emma's face was looking like she was not exactly enjoying her food. I asked her what was the matter and she said the chicken nugget she was eating tasted funny. Normally I would have told her to keep chewing, but her face seemed to indicate there was a real problem. So I gave her a napkin and told her to spit it out. I watched in the mirror as she did but apparently it didn't all come out of her mouth because she started to gag and I thought sure she was going to toss her nuggets.
Mind you, I'm still driving on I-81. So I started yelling directions to Lucy to give her her Happy Meal Box to act as a catch-basin and I pulled off the exit ramp. Somewhere amid the chaos Emma said, "It's okay. I'm okay," and from the looks of it she was. I sighed a HUGE sigh of relief and asked, "Are you sure?" to which she replied calmly as if she hadn't just had a close call with up-chucking all over the cloth upholstery of the back seat, "Yeah. That nugget was just REALLY crunchy." I burst out laughing. I'm sure it was one of those "you had to be there" things or maybe my laughter came from pure relief that I wasn't going to have drive the rest of the way home suppressing the urge to vomit myself because of the odor wafting up from the back. Either way I continued to chuckle and remembered yet another funny thing Emma said a while back after reading the writing on her McDonald's apple juice juice box. "Hey, Mommy! This apple juice has 100 vitamin C's and I can't even taste them!"

1 comment:

  1. That brought a smile to my face! Thanks for sharing.

    Love and Hugs

    ReplyDelete